Monday, November 21, 2016

Justifications

I have always wished that I had this ability to think on my feet. It comes in rather handy, you know, especially when, say, you have just broken Mommy's favorite china cup. If only I could say, "But, when my brother broke my toy, you said I should not get angry because he did it by accident. So why are you picking up that stick and eyeing my bottom like that?" Unfortunately for me, I can only think of the fact that she had expressly forbidden us children to even lay hands on the cups and I had done so, regardless, and broken it in the process.

This acceptance of your own guilt is a grave issue, I tell you. If you, yourself, accept that you were wrong, you do not have a snowball's chance in Hell of convincing others that you were not. It gravely hampers your ability to think up reasons to explain either why you were not at fault or why you should not be punished even if you are.

The movies did their very best to educate me but, alas, I am thick-headed enough to make my brain totally sound-proof. Like the pickpocket telling the cop who nabs him,"You will let all the big thieves, who steal crores, get away but nab little guys like me", in almost every other movie I used to see in those days. The most famous one, of course, is where the Big B rants, "Tell the man who tattooed me thus to surrender to the police and I will surrender" and so on and so forth. It was no help that the movies did not show either the cop relenting OR the mother relenting in the latter case, so I probably had reason to doubt the efficacy of the method. The problem, though, is that it is THAT attitude which is all-important to find these justifications. It could well have proved effective outside the movies, as indeed I have witnessed many a time.

Maybe if it had worked in the movies, it may have helped me. Like the cop saying, "You are right! Since I cannot nab all thieves, I shall stop nabbing any thieves" and helping the pickpocket board the next bus where he could ply his trade. Or the mother saying,"Quite right, son! Let us have all the criminals, from historical times to now, pilloried for their crimes and then talk of you." THEN I may have well learned the valuable lesson of how effective this ability to justify myself could prove in life. Alas...the way to Hell is paved with ifs and buts!

The easiest thing to do is the flipping Income Tax. I mean, you are almost always considered an idiot if you did not evade tax on at least a small portion of your income. It is like...like you are somehow a low IQ chap, sort of a Neanderthal posing as Homo Sapiens, if you fail in doing this. And I...ashamed though I am of confessing it...just could not JUSTIFY it to myself.

Even when the chap, who advised me, said, "Everyone does it." Maybe it was spoiled by the fact that, on other occasions when I had used the argument, he had said,"So, if everyone jumps into a well, you will follow suit?" Strangely, though, the fact that everyone does it is so convincing an argument in the case of evading IT that no-one ever springs that jumping-into-the-well riposte.

Then, I tell myself, "I worked so hard for it and why should I give away 30% of it?"and it sounds hollow. I scream into the mirror,"Come on! I am getting nothing more out of the government than those other guys, so why should I pay more?" and it is still no help.

For me, the fact that I live in this Society means the tacit acceptance that I live by its rules...and I cannot justify breaking those rules, even to myself. Crazy, you say? Not something that I have not told myself repeatedly, especially when even telling myself that I am only giving the money over so that some politico will take it away does not help me do it. Stupid...but there it is. For me to break a rule seems like my approving of everyone else doing it, including that politico. Like I had chosen to join them instead of opposing them, even if it is only in my mind. Is it a wonder then that I can never justify myself on anything to anybody else, when I cannot even avoid feeling guilty myself?

It is a wondrous ability, this finding justifications. The thing, though, is that it starts with the ability to convincingly lie to yourself first. Once you convince yourself that you are right, it is a cake-walk to convince others.

Alas...yes, you guessed it...I never learned that art of lying to myself convincingly!

16 comments:

  1. The straight and narrow, it is and should be. Gives you mental peace and allows you to sleep at night. Great post, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can even take the cheats but the hypocrites...they not only become cheats themselves but also end up making others feel that it is 'not really cheating' :P

      Delete
  2. You are right Suresh,justifications cannot obliterate misdeeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ability to justify is what leads to misdeeds, these days, Indu!

      Delete
  3. Someone told me "Avoiding tax is wrong, evading isn't" i still dont get the different though.... Thats the trouble of being a nice person Stress. Your conscience wearing that white kurti and talking to you from the mirror is always dominant... What to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lazy - wish my conscience would also be the same :)

      Delete
    2. My autocorrect on the phone seems to have translated Suresh to Stress!! and makes a mess of my grammar too...sorry about that :)

      Delete
    3. Hahaha - THAT is one thing that I have done my best to avoid, including quitting a job :) To think that it has become my name... :)

      Delete
  4. It's been a while since I dropped by last. Glad to see that your sense of humour is still spot on.
    While I largely continue to do things as my conscience dictates, there are moments of 'rebellion' where I manage to justify some of my actions. But then I still can't say 'successfully justify', because even if I do 'do' the deed, I still end up feeling bad later on.

    So mostly a 'thought-I-won-but-I-didn't-kind of situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have also not managed to perfect the art of lying to yourself convincingly :)

      Delete
  5. Yeah. I hate that voice inside my head. Which keeps harping if I am being a hypocrite and won't let me be in peace. Looks like there are some neanderthals here :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally agree. We are on the same boat :)
    The Deewar movie reference here is so apt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As they say for all the hype about honesty of salaried middle class, they are so only because they have no other option. When company takes away the tax even before you lay hands on it, there is little you can do but be honest.

    ReplyDelete