Monday, November 28, 2016

Choice confusion

Everyone seems to love the idea of having choices. I, though, have always been frightened of them. I mean, it is alright to have a choice between going to school and playing all day - it is a no-brainer there, you would elect to play. Or, say, between having to write an exam or not as a prerequisite to pass on to the next grade. Unfortunately, those are not the choices that you generally get faced with. In fact, those occasions do not even seem like making choices - it is obvious what you want to do, the other thing does not even seem like a legitimate choice.

The problem, more often than not, is that you either get faced with a set of unpalatable choices or a set of palatable choices. I mean, what sort of choice is studying Engineering or studying Medicine with goofing off not even one of the options? It is like asking 'Would you prefer being stretched on a rack or lying on a bed of nails?'

Otherwise, you get faced with, "Would you like an Alistair McLean or a Agatha Christie?" with 'Both' not an option. When I have read neither book, how do I balance a gripping thriller against an intriguing whodunit and come up with one answer? I am more like "Umm...McLean...no...Christie...hmm...maybe, McLean..." Whatever decision I eventually make,  I end up regretting it as soon as I make it. The moment I have one book, the wonders of the other book shine forth in psychedelic splendor and the one I DO have dulls in comparison.

And, then, I enter the era of entrance examinations with those abominable multiple choice questions. I mean, all those exams that I HAD written, you could sort of disguise your ignorance of the answer with a deluge of words. These Multiple Choice Questions leave you no option but to hang out your ignorance in all its naked glory - except, of course, where your "Inky, Pinky, Ponky" happens to light upon the right answer.

More problematic is the ability of these questions to confuse you on even those little tit-bits where you have some shaky knowledge of the answer. I mean if the question was "What is the capital of India?" and I were one of those who was this "I know it sort of starts with 'D'. The name is on the tip of my tongue but...', then these are a huge help. "Ah! Delhi, it is", you can say, unless one of the other options is 'Dehradun'. But, take a guy like me, who sort of thinks that the answer is 'Delhi' but would not bet his life on it. Without any choices on offer, I'd probably put in 'Delhi' and breeze through. With choices, though...'Hmm! Could it be 'Mumbai', after all? Or, perhaps, 'Kolkotta'?' and, after messing around with it, select 'Varanasi', if only for the fact that THAT was the only choice which did not confuse you.

Having done with education - and even working - I thought I was, at last, free of the tyranny of choices. No more juggling this against that, those against these and going dizzy for me.

Alas! NOW is when I face the most problems...

"If you slip in the bathroom and dive head-first into a bucket, THIS the phone that will allow you to take the best selfie..."

"The phone which will dance a tango on your chest to wake you up (it takes two to tango, so dual SIM) and will shift to the tandav if you do not wake up soon enough..."

"The phone that will sing 'Happy Birthday' on your birthday and a Requiem when you slip and fall off a cliff..."

Ye Gods!

10 comments:

  1. True. When you don't have them, you long for them; and when you have them, you find them quite exasperating--you can't make up your mind on what to choose. I was born in that age where we had next to no choices, it was either M or E.

    As to the entrance exams, we didn't do the Inky, Pinky--we had a rather scientific method--If you didn't know the answer, go for C--and most of us followed this religiously--our seniors had made an analysis of this and they had come up with this solution to that vexatious problem. They were of the firm opinion that C had a better than even chance of being the correct answer. Not that these worthies landed the 'lucrative' seats in the PG entrances...

    Great post, Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, doc! I always liked the rhythm of 'Inky Pinky Ponky' :)

      Delete
  2. Some choices ARE difficult to make,but I would not like to be deprived of them.Keeps the brain active ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT satisfaction is for people who have brains - not for people like me :)

      Delete
  3. Yes, situations like "I dont have a choice" are far more better ! :D ....Shops should also start a lucky dip sort of trend....They put all sarees of a particular price in opaque packets and you pay first pick one and be happy with what you get....Imagine how less crowded Diwali shopping areas would become!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are spoilt for choices indeed ! Without choice life would be much simpler. Take clothes or food for instance. If you had the choice to only eat gruel everyday, you could have spent so much more time on other creative things. In fact I read an article recently that some ppl are seriously contemplating giving up clothes, so that they no longer waste time on unnecessary choices :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha - I did not go that far; just froze on tracks and tees for every occasion and presto... :)

      Delete
  5. Yeah - I was never good at choice either. When we are in hotels, I let my wife or whoever is with me choose. If I am alone, I let the waiter choose.

    ReplyDelete