Monday, October 6, 2014

Empowerment

"You are simply wasting your time. You should be working for the empowerment of those less fortunate than you."

"Ah! So, you really can give to others what you do not have yourself?"

"What do you mean? That I try to give wisdom when I do not have it myself?"

That's always the problem. You mean one thing, the other guy takes it in some other sense. At least this chap openly said it and gave me the opportunity to clarify.

"No! No! I mean that you think I can give power to others when I have none myself."

If I were any more powerless, I would be the dead battery that you throw away, cursing it for giving up just when you are in the middle of something important. To think of it, I would not mind someone empowering me.

"I think I can do with some empowering myself. Know of someone who can empower me in my interactions with the world - especially government?"

"Nonsense! The moment I talk of empowerment, all you can think of is how to get something for yourself. If you feel so powerless, why don't you think of others like you whom YOU can try to empower?"

"WHAT? And lose his company in feeling powerless? I'd rather be powerless together with him than powerless all by myself."

"The typical crab mentality. You will not climb up yourself and you will do your best to pull down someone else who is climbing."

"Well! Why can't I be the person climbing and you tell the others to not pull me down?'

"AND? Once you climb up, will you help the others get empowered too?"

"Hmm..I think that it would be a disservice. After all to win against difficulty builds character. So, if I help them, they will not be able to build their character, since they will have it easy. How can I be the reason for their losing that opportunity?"

"Ah! You really ARE a facile SOB. So, you will apply the same standards to your children?"

"Come on! What is the point in my getting ahead in life if my own family derives no benefit from it? Why would I suffer and slave at getting ahead in life, if they are also to start from scratch?"

"You really are a selfish brute. You want someone to empower you but, once you do have some power, you will keep it all for your family."

"Huh? THEY are expiating the sins of their ancestors. What have I got to expiate?"

There was a loud popping noise as my friend swelled up and burst.

Meanwhile...will someone find me and empower me? Pretty please....

10 comments:

  1. Hmmm....this is interesting. Not that I feel empowered in anyway after reading this, but it affirms what I have always felt - that this whole "empowerment" thing is such a patronizing mumbo-jumbo invented by the "haves" who are not at all interested in sharing their power in any way with the "have-nots".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THERE you have it, Beloo :) What I had in mind :) Also the fact that empowerment suggests to people that THEY can be recipients :)

      Delete
  2. I will let Rahul baba know that you are needing some empowerment.He's the best bloke on the market to talk all about empowerment ! And while we are at it, I will also get some empowerment done for myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Ash! I sort of got the impression that Rahul baba was now in the market to get some empowerment for himself :)

      Delete
  3. It is easy for the fortunate to be patronizing and offer philanthropy,easy also for the heve-nots to grab at the crumbs;but genuine empowerment--ah,where is it ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AND the problem also is that everyone thinks that HE is actually more in need of getting than giving.

      Delete
  4. Looks like you have been listening to the '101 Best Speeches By Rahul Gandhi' CD I sent you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just reading? :) Practically memorized them, Rickie! :)

      Delete
  5. oh gawd that word empowerment! sounds like a management jargon no :P But yes the only person who can help you out here is Rahul Baba, only he has the solution to your problem :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - a typical case of giving something that you do not have yourself :P

      Delete